Saturday, October 30, 2010

Handmade "puff" paint

This is a nifty way to make paint with texture using good things from your own kitchen. If you or your child have problems with gluten, try using a different flour. I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work.
Materials:
*flour
*water
*salt
*food color
*squeeze bottles

scrumdilly-do it!
Mix equal parts flour, salt & water into a small squeeze bottle. You can repurpose old paint, mustard or shampoo bottles. I used tiny travel bottles from the craft store, these work best for small detail projects like the Day of the Dead skeleton project I have coming for you tomorrow. It's the fine point applicator that makes it extra nifty. If the bottle opening is too small, use a funnel or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel shape to help fit the mixture in.After adding your basic paint to your squeeze bottle, add a few drops of food color to tint.Place the lid back on and shake it up to mix. For the tiny bottles, I added one tablespoon each of the flour, salt and water. If the mixture feels too lumpy, add more water, too watery, add more salt and/or flour.This paint keeps best when stored in the refrigerator. Should stay fresh for about two weeks. Have fun!

*When done, bottles can be rinsed out in the sink with warm to hot water. Don't throw bottles away, keep them for another nifty project!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks great! I'll give it a try sometime! :) Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking to replace the wheat flour with a gluten-free substitute flour it will probably need to have guar gum. Whenever I need something to act as a thickening agent (I'm gluten-intolerant) I use corn starch, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaah...cornstarch, an excellent idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete